Re: [linux-audio-dev] Supporting authors of free software

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Supporting authors of free software
From: Likai Liu (news_AT_likai.net)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 17:56:08 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:

>to be slightly more precise: my concern was not over whether ardour
>would or would not be able to put bread on the table. my concern was
>over the possibility that somebody else (presumably with an
>established name and a significant marketing budget/team) could derive
>revenue from ardour that would not flow to me and/or others involved
>with ardour.

Also, think about even if a kind individual/company does contribute a
fraction of their revenue based on ardour back to the ardour developers,
how do you decide who gets money and how much they get? Since as you
said, ardour has been worked by other contributors as well, there will
be disputes that says "this guy got too much" and "I got too little".
The only fair distribution is to calculate the lines of codes someone
contributed to ardour, but that gets impractical. I think the only other
fair use of open source income is probably to make a party, buy some
beer for everyone, and let people chill. But again, some people drink
more beer than others ...

liulk