Re: [linux-audio-dev] Supporting authors of free software

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Supporting authors of free software
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 17:02:27 EEST

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

> On Fri, 17 May 2002 19:22:39 -0700
> Tom <stillone_AT_snowcrest.net> wrote:
>
> > A recent thread on ardour-dev, regarding the possibility of changing the
> > license of ardour,
>
> As someone who is not subscribed to ardour-dev, I was wondering if you
> might fill us in on the above discussion.

just to calm the waters:

paul had considered switching the license to make sure that no third
parties could commercialize on ardour.
basically, it was about finding an open-source, free license that could
make sure that if any money is made with ardour, that money would go to
the authors. most if not all people on the list considered paul's
concerns legitimate, but some people saw the danger of putting off parts
of the free software community...

eventually the thread died with paul saying he'd stick to the GPL for
now. to keep free-riders from making a fast buck, it was considered
possible to educate users how open-source works and where to put their
money and if necessary raise a stink in the press...

(just my recollection from memory - check the archives for the real
thing...)

jörn