Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_wava.com)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 17:48:31 EEST

On Tuesday 04 June 2002 00:25, Rick Burnett wrote:

> The reason I am asking about the flower fan is I don't want to go
> through this again. I am okay with the HD noise and the power supply
> noise, I have had them before. What changed was when I had to buy a
> high powered fan for the CPU, and it is like 5 times as loud as the
> other items. It's making me insane :)

Depending upon how intense you want to get with this, you can mount a big heat
sink to the CPU and then use a larger fan to blow the same volume of air over
the larger surface. Noise induced by airflow follows an inverse-cube rule,
so reducing the air velocity by half will give you an *eightfold* decrease in
noise. It's an old trick used in studio design -- that why you typically see
oversized air ducts in such facilities.

Cheers!

|Frederick F. Gleason, Jr.|WAVA Radio - 105 FM |Voice: 1-(703)-807-2266 |
| Director of Engineering |1901 N. Moore Street| FAX: 1-(703)-807-2245 |
| |Arlington, VA 22209 | Web: http://www.wava.com|
| When your client's hopping mad, |
| Put his picture in the ad. |
| If he still should prove refractory, |
| Add a picture of his factory. |
| -- The Advertising Agency Song |