Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 01:36:04 EEST

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Richard Bown wrote:

>> because the transport time is the only important global time it indicates
>> what you should be playing/doing right now.
> But of course at the moment we've also got the ALSA sequencer clock running
> to schedule our MIDI alongside our JACK callbacks - so external control of
> our audio streams (RG as a client) wouldn't really make much sense unless
> we could do the same to our MIDI.

Not necessarily. If nothing else, just by implementing support for 'start'
and 'stop' JACK transport state changes, you allow softsynths/etc to be
run in sync with Rosegarden. Of course without support for transport
position the user has to set the position in all apps manually before
issuing start (in the JACK timebase master client), but to me this is just
a minor annoyance if I can use multiple independent, sample-synced apps to
create my music! And even more so as it very unlikely that you have >>2
apps that care about sample position in one setup.

Another approach is to propage the state changes to the ALSA sequencer
(just like you do when a user presses the 'Go to begin' (or similar)
button in Rosegarden's UI.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!