Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interface with real modules

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interface with real modules
From: Dr. Matthias Nagorni (mana_AT_suse.de)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 11:54:32 EET

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Thomas Webb wrote:

> Has anyone tried making a synth app that works w/ real
> modular synths? I'm too poor to afford these things
> (kinda what got me into audio development), but I do
> have a paia fatman I've been playing w/.. I've managed
> to use the voltage outs from it to control my synth,
> but I know the FatMan isn't the standard volrage
> levels you see in the likes of Doepfer, AS,
> synthesizers.com, etc.

I have connected my AlsaModularSynth with a Doepfer synth. It is no
problem at all to route signals between them via the soundcard as long as
the frequency is in the audio range. With my SB Live I could even use LFO
signals down to less than 1 Hz without too much distortion of the LFO
waveform. But the general feature of soundcards to block DC voltages
will make the I/O of envelopes and constant CVs impossible.

However you can still have a lot of fun e.g. having FM or Ringmod between
software and true analogue VCOs. It would also be a very good idea to
combine a true analogue VCF with a digital synth as it's the filter that
is the weakest point of digital synthesis. It is then however difficult to
implement proper VCF tracking. This could only be done by using a true
analogue MIDI to CV converter, let this control the VCF tracking and send
the same notes to the softsynth and the true analogue MCV connected to the
VCF.

Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Nagorni