Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: linuxaudio.org
From: Daniel James (daniel_AT_linuxaudio.org)
Date: Wed Jan 14 2004 - 17:43:37 EET

> The point though, is that
> some sort of precise *identity* needs to attach to members.

At the moment this is expected to be by nominated representative to
the management board. If someone is representing a project publically
and they shouldn't be, then I think that would be fairly obvious.

> I think "project" is too vague and amorphous a term.

I guess libre software projects are amorphous. They aren't
individuals, or companies, or organisations in the traditional sense.

> I'd strongly recommend holding off
> the *legal* establishment of any entity until a broader consensus
> exists.

Quite right. linuxaudio.org has no legal status for the time being.

> I suspect that a lot of the suspicion which has been
> expressed in this thread was engendered by the appearance that much
> of the prior discussion to this point took place via private
> communications.

Hardly private, since everyone seems to have found out about it within
days. I just don't believe in opening my mouth in public until I've
got something worthwhile to say.

> there does come a time when those discussions need to "go public".

Absolutely.

> Such public discussion needs to happen well before any "official"
> establishment of an organization.

But then we're back to discussing something that doesn't exist.

> Part of the confusion, too, comes from some vagueness in your
> terms. What exactly do you mean when you say you're "launching"
> Linuxaudio.org today?

Making the website more obvious, a press release. That's all.

Quite honestly, if I had proposed this idea with no support from the
community it would have been shot down in flames - and rightly so.

Cheers

Daniel