Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 20:40:40 EEST

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 08:55:16PM +0200, Marek Peteraj wrote:
> Virtual 3d guis copy the real world. Try to do it the other way around,
> with widget sliders and one color for both sliders and background(most
> cases). Imagine a hw which would look like that.

I agree with your point here. I used to have a Yamaha four-track
that had nothing but black sliders (no knobs) on a black background.
It was horrible to use - there was no visual or tactile
distinction

> > Other
> > people will probably want just that: photo-GUIs.
>
> Because they're easier to learn and get used to.

Initially, sure; they look familiar.

But I don't believe you can simply imitate hardware and get a good UI without
thinking critically about each widget. A lot is lost in the
translation. Remember that hardware still offers vastly better visual
resolution, tactile feedback (e.g. potentiometer detents, switch clicks),
more physical space (even a lowly Mackie 1604 mixer doesn't fit on a single
display at actual size), and a much lower impedance to physical control
(compare moving a physical slider to clicking and dragging an onscreen slider
via a mouse; also, you have two hands and can use them easily at once,
but you only get one mouse.)

Even when a photo-GUI approach is chosen, there's no need to take it
to extremes. Think of Reason. You flip the "rack" around to look at
the connecting "cables" and they show you fans, screws, fuse holders...
goofy.

--

Paul Winkler http://www.slinkp.com