Re: [linux-audio-dev] synthesis on gp2x .. (was Fwd: RE: [gpx-dev] hardware interfaces)

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 12 2006 - 17:26:49 EET

>On another note, have you heard about the current situation
>regarding the availability of source code for the port of the Linux
>kernel to the GP2X?

yes, tho' this is changing the subject. i'm sure the GPL issues with
GPH will get resolved; certainly i've been keeping a very close eye
on it and i'm pretty sure that there is more to this story than is
being reported on slashdot .. in the meantime there is some serious
hacking still going on with this console, and there aren't actually
any problems with continuing to hack code for the GP2X .. i have it
on good authority (guys working directly with GPH) that this issue is
getting sorted out finally, for good and all, and that the problems
are related to the fact that there are 3 parties involved in the
GP2X' codebase .. and all need to get on the same page. this is
happening.

>I told him I was keen to buy one - but would hold back until the GPL
>was being complied with.

well, that'd be a pity, because there's not actually anything about
their code release thats going to prevent you from running your own
code on it .. there's nothing stopping you from upgrading the kernel
to an open one, nothing preventing you from writing new code for the
platform, which is open, functioning, and able to run whatever code
you write for it. the only issue is that there are bins being
shipped with source not available; but you can most certainly port
whatever source you want to the machine, including source for the
onboard apps available elsewhere, so its not really a barrier to
enjoying the platform; it is, of course, yet again, "niggly
dogmatics" versus 'those who are writing code and getting on with it'
..

the gp2x just plain rocks. nothing quite like having a completed
linux platform in your pocket, running thousands and thousands of
games, and soon .. music software of note. for example, i think you
can all expect to see news about drum machines, trackers, sequencers,
patch librarians, and editors, on the gp2x platform, in the coming
weeks and months .. not bad for a battery-powered pocket, portable
linux device.

--
;
Jay Vaughan