Re: [linux-audio-dev] surround multimedia SW on Linux

From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 23:56:43 EEST

Le Fri, 5 May 2006 10:44:59 +0200,
Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden> a écrit :

> I've had this request on a non-Linux list:
>
> Can you provide more feedback (about) ... multimedia players capable of
> decoding Dolby AC3, DTS, DVD-Audio, etc. on a Linux machine?
> What about software players running on a CAR-PC and surround-capable?
>
> I know very little about the whole field of multimedia players
> for proprietary formats on Linux. Can someone fill in the gaps ?
>
> - which apps are available ?
> - are they open-source ?
> - what interfaces (ALSA, JACK, OSS, ...) do they have ?
> - do they require Windoze emulation ?
> - what is their maintenance state ?
> - etc.
>
> Many thanks,

I suppose I am not the best one to respond to that question.

I mainly use xmms to play audio. http://www.xmms.org/
It can play almost anything with a plugin system. It can use Alsa, OSS,
jack and other sound servers.
It is a lot of plugins. As exemple, it is even a mplayer plugin
that can play every format, even video, that mplayer can play. (Not
sure if it is an official xmms plugin, but it work fine.
http://xmmsmplayer.sourceforge.net/ )

It is a ladspa plugin too:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~njl98r/code/audio/

Mplayer alone or as xmms plugin will do a great job with many sound formats. I believe at it will be superior to many other softwares, in regard to sound quality, to play audio-DVD. If you have a compilation where the originals are coming from different sources, you will get no jump in the sound when jumping from a track to another track, and that even if the sound format is not the same. Mplayer will just do the work and get the most of the sound server.

Best,
Dominique