Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] JACK & MIDI

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 19:58:37 EET

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 09:37 -0800, Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> Is there anything inherently wrong with OSC as a _transport_ protocol?
> Anything that makes it unsuitable for that purpose within the framework
> of jack? (I know there have been threads about this before)

OSC is not a bus-oriented protocol, its 100% point-to-point. That is,
you do not put messages on a bus and all listeners pick it up. You have
to explicitly dispatch each OSC message to each target. this makes it
fundamentally different from MIDI, which, independent of the actual
physical transport layer, is bus oriented.