Re: [LAD] LV2 "isn't well thought out ?" LV2 in the Reaper sequencer

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 22 2008 - 13:45:44 EET

Lars Luthman wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 05:02 -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>> Benno Senoner wrote:
>>
>>> Everyone is invited to add his own point of view and I hope that the
>>> outcome will be a positive collaboration between LV2 and Reaper.
>>>
>> Well, Benno, what do you think about the responses so far? Is the spirit
>> of open collaboration and the welcoming attitude alive & well here ?
>>
>> If I've learned one thing here it's that open sources != open minds.
>>

> Dave just offered to do all the work for them - if that's not in the
> spirit of collaboration I don't know what is.

I quote the entire response:

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 22:47 +0100, Benno Senoner wrote:

> > Since you are one of the LV2 developers I'd suggest you and all other
> > LV2 devs to take part on that thread on the reaper forum
> > and enlinghten them about the advantages and flexibility of LV2.

The Reaper forum isn't a useful place for development discussion.

> > but better to start the discussion with them now because
> > we will not know if and when if will become free software

Yeah, right..

Tell you what, if Reaper becomes fully and truly Free Software (by the
FSF definition), I hereby volunteer to implement LV2 support for
them /and/ write good LV2 extensions for any features present in
whatever version of VST they happen to favour. Ball's in their court.

You can't beg a mechanic to fix your buddy's car when he's welded the
hood shut - and plans to run over the mechanic's bike as soon as it
runs ;)

Until then, my bike is Ardour. Race ya.

-DR-

So responding with sarcasm, "We'll do it my way or not at all"
conditions, and a confrontive attitude qualifies as "the spirit of
collaboration" ? Geez, you guys are really winning me over.

> If I've come across as a grumpy old bastard I apologise, because that
> was not my intention. The thing is that I'm just not particularly
> interested in software that can only be used in the way the original
> author allows it to be used. If they actually make it free it's a
> completely different issue.
No fear, no-one's going to ask you or DR for help in this matter.

Best,

dp