[LAD] Let's kill EPAMP???

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 02 2008 - 18:35:31 EEST

Let's stop this flame for a moment and see what LV2 misses in order to
let me kill EPAMP and live an happier life.

#1. Support for interleaved channels and non-float data
Input and output data is often found in these formats.

#2. Changing sample rate without re-instantiating all effects.
Gapless playback when chaning songs, for example, should be possible
without performing black magic.

#3. Some serious connection logic thing (all the "equal channels" thing etc.).
This needs a thousand flame wars and *deep* thinking.

#4. Support for time stretching when using non real-time audio sources.

#5. Informations about delay time introduced by the algorithm itself
to do syncing with video-sources (for example).

#6. Some way for the host to make sense of the meaning of some
parameters and channels, to better support global settings and stuff.

#7. Global explicit initialization/finalization functions for more
exotic platforms (they wouldn't harm, so why not having them).

#8. Rules to find plugins possibly platform-specific and outside of
the specification; possibly one compile-time valid path.

#9. Maybe more strict requirements on both hosts and plugins
(especially about thread-safety).
I see there is some indication in the core spec, but I don't know
about extensions and/or other possible concurrency issues.

#10. Something (a library possibly) to make use all of this features
easily from the host author's POV.

Can we start discussing about these issues and see if they are solved
already/how to implement them/how to make them better?

Stefano