Re: [LAD] students and copyright

From: jaromil <jaromil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 03 2009 - 00:58:01 EEST

re all,

On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 03:29:53PM +0200, Arnout Engelen wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 02, 2009 at 08:25:19AM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity, how many participants in this discussion
> > are copyright holders ? How many of you have published works under
> > copyright ?
>
> At least in the Netherlands (and i believe this goes for most if not
> all of Europe), it's pretty hard not to be a copyright holder:
> you're automatically a copyright holder when you create a nontrivial
> work. Registering your copyright is optional (but can make things
> somewhat easier in case of a dispute).

as an author is nice to register a copyright without effort and
institutional bureaucracy, especially when not aiming at restricting
people rights with your creations. that's the partial win of the
Creative Commons licences in the art world...

"registering your copyright" for musicians in a place like Italy is
something like "share the income of your popularity with the SIAE
mafia" which is going to send hit-squads all over the country to break
partys whenever your songs are singed or played - and this really
happens believe me, even with kids singing songs at birthday parties.
AFAIK the situation is very similar in Spain, with the SGAE.

the GNU GPL agile copyright registration aimed at freedom helps us
little fishes survive despite the "marauding giants" - institutions,
corporations, etc. as in a student - university relationship can be.

a common situation of attribution of authorship in Universities in a
place like Italy, again: professors (we call them barons) often use
the production of their students for their "side jobs" as corporate
consultants. sometimes organising little "prizes" (like trips to
Apple in Cupertino, for instance) meanwhile sending them all the
projects made by students for which the copyright and production
agreement is very blurred: the name (and cigar smoking) of the
professor on top with the company sponsoring the prizes and then a
confusing list of "students" participating.

now you know a good reason why i've emigrated :)

ciao

- --

jaromil, dyne.org developer, http://jaromil.dyne.org

GPG: 779F E8B5 47C7 3A89 4112 64D0 7B64 3184 B534 0B5E

  Nowadays only soubrettes, body builders, media owners and "the
  richest bozo in the pond" tend to be elected by a population of
  zombified slaves happy to run inside their guinea pig wheels
  Fravia, April 2009, http://fravia.com/swansong.htm