Re: [linux-audio-user] Complete Transition

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Complete Transition
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 21:48:09 EEST

"M. Edward Borasky" wrote:

> I am completely underwhelmed by Alsa -- as far as I can tell they are not
> ready for prime time and aren't likely to be so for some time.

I've been very pleased with ALSA for quite a while, but my needs are
probably quite different from yours. I'm currently using the 0.5.11
package for my SBLive and my SB PCI128. I use ALSA in either native or
OS emulation mode for running apps such as terminatorX, MusE, XMMS, Snd,
Csound, Ceres3,and even some legacy DOS MIDI software running under
DOSemu.

> I haven't found anything for Linux that compares with CoolEdit 2000.

My latest project might interest you (and perhaps other Linux audio
users).

I've been working with Bill Schottstaedt on some rather significant
improvements to the Snd interface. I've also been preparing an
article/tutorial that will assist CE2000 users in divining some of the
power of Snd. I've been intimately involved with Snd for the last month
or so, getting much deeper into its capabilities, and I've been doing a
comparison with CE2000.

The Snd I'm using here at home is quite remarkable, and I much prefer it
over CE2000. I've added new menus and many GUI widgets for Snd's various
powerful DSP modules, and I've learned much more about Snd than I knew
before. Interestingly, I've really added no new functions: everything
was already in Snd, I just had to master some Guile and a little bit of
Motif programming to make the functions more visible to the user. My
entire intent has been to make Snd as easy to use as CE2000. I believe
we're succeeding nicely, and I intend to make the new stuff public next
week. The O'Reilly Network will be running my article/tutorial perhaps
towards the end of September, you'll want to look at it if you're
interested on leaving CE2000 for something else in Linux.

Btw, the most glaring lack in Snd (the Linux version) is of course in
the domain of hardware support, and of course there's little I can do
about that beyond agitating manufacturers.

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net

Currently listening to: Morton Feldman, "Piano and String Quartet"