Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: tempered tuning and guitar tuner

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: tempered tuning and guitar tuner
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 18:01:04 EEST

Samuel S Chessman wrote:

> For guitar tuning software, Dave Phillip's Sound and Midi software for Linux
> http://sound.condorow.net/ lists:
> [snip]
> I have no reviews of these but the guituner looks the best to me because it's
> familiar. I have played with gtune console and it's cumbersome to have
> to turn on the system and launch an application just to tune. YMMV.

I wrote an article on guitar software for Linux users (it includes some
tuner reviews), you can check it here:

        http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2001/07/20/linux_guitar.html

I also received notice this morning from Manuel Op de Coul informing me
that Scala 2.03 is now available. This version of Scala includes a new
GTK interface and is available here:

        http://www.xs4all.nl/~huygensf/scala/

You can define new scales in Scala or you can download a package of 2500
scales from the Scala Web site. IMHO, anyone interested in tunings and
temperament should at least look at Scala (particularly if you use
Csound).

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://sound.condorow.net

Currently listening to: Cecil Taylor, "Conquistador"