Re: [linux-audio-user] Noise related to video.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Noise related to video.
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 11:22:17 EET

Juha Erkkila wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 06, 2001 at 05:26:41AM +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > I recently installed debian and before that I had Mandrake 8.0
> >
> > With mandrake I had no noticable noise but using debian my card sounds
> > like a helicopter. the noise seems to be directly related to anything
> > moving on my monitor. I have read the audio quality howto and tried the
> > no-hlt in lilo.conf. That hasn't worked.
>
> i had something like this that was resolved by tweaking up the
> setting `PCI Latency Timer' in BIOS. the default was 32, but that
> gave the helicopter sounds. everything over 64 was fine, and even
> everything between 0-15 worked because the kernel figured out that
> the latency was too low and turned it up to 64

It seems I don't have anything like that in my bios but I've isolated
the problem anyway.

When I installed debian it did funny things to my irq settings (or maybe
it was Mandrake). One of the annoying side effects is that I can't use x
windows with a usb mouse anymore because it conflicts with my keyboard
(the mouse gets first priority I guess). I have verified that they are
not sharing the same irq address.

It seems another thing the debian has decided is that it doesn't like my
ac97 soundcard. I can't exactly move it as it is part of the board right
in between the agp and the cpu. Now that I have disabled it in the bios
my sound is much clearer. Not perfect but then I haven't shelled out the
cash for my cards yet.

So you might want ot add that to the Audio Quality Howto (maybe I
should, it's a wiki now right?)

My mainboard is a pIV compatible and it has an onboard ac97 sound card -
snd-card-intel8x0 - with the alsa drivers. I guesss the moral is don't
get one with a sound card if you can get one with out for cheaper esp.
if you plan to install debian.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com - For the discerning hardware connoisseur.