Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: Soundcard supporting several audio streams

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: Soundcard supporting several audio streams
From: Takashi Iwai (tiwai_AT_suse.de)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 18:42:06 EET

At Thu, 8 Nov 2001 16:58:38 +0100,
Stefan Schwandter wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 09:23:08AM -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > >So is this really the only driver that supports multiple output streams?
>
> > no. as mentioned, the trident-based cards do this as well.
>
> Oh sorry, I thought Trident ... was a soundcard with the ymf744b driver.
>

> So we have trident, ymfpci and emu10k1 (?). One more? :-)

Ok, here small additions:

es1968 (maestro2)
        up to 4 channels as default, more configurable by module option
maestro3
        up to 2 channels (so far due to lack of h/w info)
ali5451
        basically compatible with trident (on OSS it's the same driver)

> What about adding this information to the SOUNDCARDS file that comes
> with the alsa-distribution?

Nice idea.
IMO more specific (detailed) information for each card should be
included in alsa-driver distribution..

> > apps don't need esd-support now. they just need LD_PREOPEN set in the
> > environment in which they are started. i am not familiar with the way
> > that artsd works, but i imagine its similar.
>
> Ah, I guess that's what esddsp does? It didn't work for me when I tried
> it the last time. But I don't want to use it anyway :-)

IIRC, esddsp emulations only OSS not ALSA.
(same with artsdsp for artsd).

Hmm, do we need ALSA "arts" and "esd" pcm interface..?

Takashi