Re: [linux-audio-user] Introduction

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Introduction
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 01:21:31 EET

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Gary Counsellor wrote:

>> It always suprises me that musicians are content on using the same guitars
>> (Strato or Les Paul), synths (not much has happened here either, JV1080,
> Please be careful with wording. I understand a persons need to stand out
> from the ordinary but the use of traditional instruments does not make one
> less creative any more than the use of avante-garde tools making anyone more
> creative. In the past several million years we never been able to invent

True, true. This is very hard topic to talk about without offending
someone or turning the whole discussion into a flamewar. I agree that
using strange gear won't necessarily make you a creative/good musician,
and the other way, being a creative/good musician does not require you to
use any special tools.

But most of you probably would admit that tools you use to make music do
affect the creative process. Try making a song with a) acoustic guitar, b)
tb303, c) csound ... if nothing else, it's always inspiring to change the
way you work. And again, not by any means necessary, just a possibility.

And my personal experience has been that active (avoiding words good,
creative, etc) musicians tend to be resourceful, and come up with all
kinds of new ways to do stuff. Now it's a different question whether their
music is good or not, but at least they produce a lot of it. :) And this
is what suprises me. There's so many people out there willing to spend
lots and lots time with their guitar (or whatever the instrument) sounds,
but few seem interested in the vast possibilities Linux offers for
everyone ... and for free.

Maybe it's the technical difficulty, possibly the user-interfaces, etc,
etc... In any case it's an interesting issue. Who knows, maybe the next
hit audio product that all studios must have is a linux app.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!