Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Good cheap video card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] [OT] Good cheap video card
From: Ross Vandegrift (ross_AT_willow.seitz.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 18:18:51 EET

> I've finally had it with my SiS 6326 video card. It has a number of
> annoying drawing errors which I can only fix by turning off
> acceleration, which makes it mind-numbingly slow. And it's got 8MB
> VRAM but the driver can only use 4. I swear, my old ATI Mach64 was
> better than this thing.

Hahahhaha, I just built up a workstation using an ASUS P5S motherboard (onboard
SiS 6326 Video) and became quickly frustrated enough to disable it and slap in a
4M Mach64 card I had lying around ::-).

> Can anyone recommend a good AGP card that's reasonably speedy for
> running XFree86 4.x? I don't run games or watch movies, probably the
> most video-intensive stuff I do is gimp, or ardour.

I'll second the Matrox suggesstion that's already been posted - it's what I use
at home. Ripping 2D and DualHead support rules. I use the G400.

I've also heard excellent things about the ATI Rage 128 cards on the Xpert
mailing list.

Ross Vandegrift
ross_AT_willow.seitz.com