Re: [linux-audio-user] Pro Audio Software RANT!!!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Pro Audio Software RANT!!!
From: Ken Locarnini (renueden_AT_earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 06:37:38 EET

Honestly,
    I've been in the Cakewalk windo$e camp for awhile, and for the last year
or so I installed Mandrake 8 to give linux a go. I was so excited to get
away from microsoft. I began to explore all the linux apps out there for
linux to find my equivalent tools to work with, but the sad fact is,
-Unless you are into hard-core computor music composition, i.e. coding
software algos for music
-Unless you are willing to wrestle with your hardware, far beyond getting
your sound card to work with asio drivers to get that perfect low-latency
-Unless you are willing to age 10 years compiling, re-compiling
applications, drivers, libraries etc., and doing nothing musical
STAY AWAY!!!
    Use it for what its good for, writing software, networking etc.
Theoretically, with the low-latency patches we should have good performance,
but IMHO the apps are not anyway close to what win$ offers, (if you can even
get them to work without a 4 year degree in computor science), and that
makes me sad.
    I have found that there is alot of people in linux who get enthused, get
big plans, begin writing the new monster app only to loose steam later. Ya
you have the source code but are YOU willing, or have the skills, to get in
there and code what needs to be done?
    In win$, at least because of the almighty $$$, Cake and Cubase have
matured for years, and all things aside are fairly stable, mature apps you
can rely on in biz, if not to just compose some music!!! I really don't get
it, because the programming talent here is amazing, these guys know
everything and are very helpfull, indeed the best part about linux. But, in
win$ there are numerous apps that work, even shareware like the amazing
Buzz. I would think that these guys could code mature, stable apps that
rival the win$ stuff, but the opposite is the case. I hate to say it, but
my observation is that there is too much competition to see who is the best
programmer and not enough cooperation to get things rolling.
Sadly Ken
(as he begins to put win$ back on one of his partitions.........)