Re: [linux-audio-user] Pro Audio Software RANT!!!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Pro Audio Software RANT!!!
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 21:47:49 EET

Hi,

Ken Locarnini hat gesagt: // Ken Locarnini wrote:

> Honestly,
[rant deleted]
> Sadly Ken
> (as he begins to put win$ back on one of his partitions.........)

[another rant follows]

Well, I can understand your frustration and of course the current state
of audio software on linux simply cannot rival that on windows or mac.
So if you need Cakewalk, you have no choice but to install a commercial OS.

But as Linux and most of the software running on Linux is not "just
another operation system", but instead lives by a certain spirit, I
think you're unfair. What we are talking about on this list is free
software. Software that you can give to your friends without any
problems, software, that you can change, if you know how to, and
software, that is not controlled by some money-eating major enterprise.

No, our software is written by students, by scientists or by hobbyists,
who want to learn things, who want to share things and to free things.
To achive this, we have to re-write a lot of things, that the commercial
vendors already wrote. They keep it their trade secret and hold it
closed, we have to do things, that were already done, again. Why do we do
it, then? Why write a midi sequencer like MusE, when there already are
at least three midi sequencers for Mac or Windows, that are a lot better?
It surely sounds pathetic, but this is about freedom.

If one wants to be free, there currently is no other choice than Linux
and all its cousins. If one just wants free "as in beer" software, one
could of course search those warez sites and crack shareware serials.

But real freedom is here.

Rant closed,

--
                                                 __    __