Re: [linux-audio-user] sharing files with windows and HD partition

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] sharing files with windows and HD partition
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 00:16:50 EET

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 10:14:23PM +0100, sigir wrote:
> Someone say to me to have just one data ( .wav for example) partition
> for both, in FAT32 because Linux can mount Fat files. What do you think
> about that ? Does Linux easily works with FAT files ?

Yep. No problems. To Linux, it just looks like any other filesystem
(except that file permissions and ownership don't exactly translate).
You can just use it and not worry about it.

If you're running two computers, with Win on one and Linux on the
other, connect them via ethernet. Some kind of shared storage is a
good idea. It takes a bit of work, but I've successfully done it by
turning on file sharing in Windows, running xsmbbrowser on linux (an
SMB browser). Then the linux machine can directly access the files on
the windows machine and you don't have to transfer them back and
forth. If you're doing a lot of file transfer, this is a lot easier
than ftp or (ugh) copying onto ZIP disks or CDs.

You can also run an SMB server on linux using SAMBA, so Windows can
then directly access files on the linux machine. But I've never had to
set that up.

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com