Re: [linux-audio-user] Pro Audio Software RANT!!!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Pro Audio Software RANT!!!
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 18:48:54 EET

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Taybin Rutkin wrote:

>> A Linux version of ProTools won't happen this way. There needs to be an
>> organisation behind it to make the project go forward for long periods of
>> time. Think of KDE (Trolltech), GNOME (FSF, Ximian), glibc (FSF) and gcc
>> (FSF, Redhat/cygnus, code sourcery). I don't count the linux kernel to
>> this category, as it's something one guy could do just for fun of it.. ;)
> I really enjoyed your response expcept for this paragraph. I wasn't sure
> what you meant. Is there an organisation for vi or emacs, the two
> successful programs you mentioned?

I think the above projects are something that have grown beyond the needs
of the core developer group. There are still lots of people scratching
their itches in these projects, but there's also lots of routine work that
just has to be done - and gets done.

ProTools, Cubase, etc offer such a huge range of functionality, that most
people are content with using just s small part of it. Even if some Linux
project managed to implement all the features, there's still the huge task
of exposing the features and making them easily reachable for the users.

But this just explains the current status of Linux audio. There are no
organizations (commercial companies or non-profit developer groups)
involved, yet. LAD (linux-audio-dev) has been one important step in
building up a community of developers. But to push big projects forward
like the ones mentioned above (plus for instance Debian) requires much
more. It's no coincidence that the most coordinated linux audio
development happens inside the bigger projects like KDE and GNOME.

And also organizations are driven by strong individuals. It's not enough
to keep repeating "we need to coordinate our efforts". There needs to be
people who make it happen. And IMHO people with a vested interested in
doing it. Otherwise it's just much talk and little action.

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!