[linux-audio-user] contract work && Fwd: hammerfall dsp latency under max/msp

Subject: [linux-audio-user] contract work && Fwd: hammerfall dsp latency under max/msp
From: Swirl Ly (swirlee_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Feb 01 2002 - 21:14:55 EET

hey everyone-

i was curious about the performance of the hammerfall laptop dsp under mac,
so i asked one of the max/msp listers about it. here's what came back:

>From: <sebastianlexer_AT_yahoo.com>
>To: Swirl Ly <swirlee_AT_hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: hammerfall dsp latency
>Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 02:21:48 -0800 (PST)
>
>Hi Jan
>
>I've been using the Max/Msp latency tester patch,
>which I guess gives very accurate results.
>Theoretically you could go down to 2.3 ms, yet this
>causes some glitches, at least with the patches I was
>running. However after playing around with the
>settings for a while, with a latency between 9 - 13ms
>I got the best performance. I do not know if you could
>expect a better performance on a higher spec computer
>(I'm using a G3 Powerbook 400MHz) and it compares with
>39ms I get from the internal soundcard. Judging from
>another mail on the Max discussion forum the latency
>is probably the same as what you'd get with a Motu828,
>yet the very nice thing is that the hammerfall does
>not use your CPU which really makes a difference (and
>its cheaper!) ...
> ...and it sounds great

msp is still using the old audio architecture under mac. but its nice to
know that the linux camp is flying by at ~1ms. tee hee!

on an OT: im looking for contract software development work in the NYC area
or remotely, to help support me while i scheme on my live looper. my
portfolio is http://www.geocities.com/jipekau .. thanks.

best
-yon