Re: [linux-audio-user] Basic Linux Sound card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Basic Linux Sound card
From: Len Moskowitz (vze24hrw_AT_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 04:15:04 EET

Mel Steinberg <saxofon_AT_pacbell.net> wrote:

> I'll second what xk has to say. I've seen SB Live! Values (OEM model),
> currently, in the $25-35 range. The Soundfont/MIDI capabilities really
> make it an even better value. If you need Digital In/Outs, Hoontech
> makes REALLY reasonable expansion jackboards for it. ...

I can't agree. The SB Live (and to my knowledge, all Creative Labs
soundcards) resamples everything that comes in its digital input port, even
if the data stream is already at the sample rate you desire. If you expect
a bit-for-bit accurate data transfer, this can degrade the original in an
unacceptable way.

In my opinion, the Midiman/M-Audio line of cards is a better choice. For
details about it, see the soundcard comparison web site (Arne Krueger's
site?) often mentioned on the rec.audio.pro newsgroup.

Disclaimer: my company sells Midiman/M-Audio products.

Len Moskowitz
Owner, Core Sound