Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptops of choice?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Laptops of choice?
From: matt yee-king (yeeking_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 16:34:17 EET

i've got linux on my powerbook. i'm so much happier with this than i was
with macosx. i've been running a few audio apps on it, like spiralsynth
modular, wavesurfer and snd. they all run fine. i tried to get alsa
running but had a few problems e.g. the alsamixer didn't seem to affect
the volumes. that was 0.9beta11 - haven't tried the beta 12 witht the
new modules layout yet. the main problem is the lack of audio in - i
have a digigram vxpocket sound card that i use in macos9 but digigram
are likely to never release the specs so linux drivers are unlikely.
maybe i'll get a hammerfall if my new album sells enough copies.
apparently theres an alsa driver for that in the pipeline. (the card,
not the album)

as far as midi is concerned, i've got a usb midisport interface. there
are kernel drivers for this available but i haven't had a chance to
check them out yet. not sure how alsa/ linux is with usb midi interfaces
- anyone else used linux and a usb midi interface?

for a system, i've got yellow dog and ximian gnome with a benh 2.4.18rc1
kernel. this is my favourite linux setup so far - on my pc i've tried a
few, e.g. suse, redhat and mandrake, but this is the don. (never tried
debian...)

matthew