Re: [linux-audio-user] changing midi programs easily

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] changing midi programs easily
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 13:07:41 EEST

Hi Bill,
Bill Allen hat gesagt: // Bill Allen wrote:

> I've got my system set up so that on startup, it runs timidity in server
> mode, does the aconnect thus allowing the keyboard to be played by my 6
> year old any time he wants. The problem I want to solve is that by default
> it is running on program 0 which is Grand Piano which is fine, but it
> would be nice if he could change the program easily. I don't have it in me
> to try to teach him to use Muse (at least not for another year or so!),
> which at any rate doesn't have a very friendly program change anyway. Does
> anybody know of an easy to use GUI that would change the program? Or,
> alternatively can anybody point me on a path to program one? It would be
> ideal if the gui had something like cute pictures of the instruments even
> (remember this is for a 6 year old) in addition to the text.

I put a little program changer thingie together in PD, cost me 10 minutes.
Pictures would be possible, too, but they would take much longer, require
some 'externals' and I never did use the graphical side of PD. Anyways, to
use this, you'd have to install PD in a recent version, 0.35-test11+ or
0.34 should work, because it uses the rather new GUI objects. Look at
www.pure-data.org for the FAQ, Miller Puckette, the PD author, has
rpm-packages on his website, AFAIR.

To use the pgmchanger.pd, you would start PD like:

$ pd [ -nosound ] -midioutdev 2 pgmchanger.pd

-nosound, because you don't need that, and the midioutdev options points to
you timidity OSS-compatible device + 1 = /dev/midi1 in the example. More
details are in my aconnect-Quicktoot, if you know this.

I implemented only 32 programs, and most without names, but it's easy to
extend the attached patch.

Ciao,

--
                                                 __    __