Re: [linux-audio-user] New plugins and fixes

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New plugins and fixes
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Wed Apr 10 2002 - 10:23:38 EEST

Steve Harris hat gesagt: // Steve Harris wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 05:17:16 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Damned, this one sounds hot like hell! And the name is the devil. But can
> > it be, that Barry is burning quite some CPU cycles? I tested it in a PD
> > patch, that showed between 5-20 percent cpu usage in gkrellm before, and
> > now with one satanMaximiser plugin it went up to solid over 45 percent.
>
> It shouldn't use that much, it takes about 1-2% on my PIIIM laptop. Its
> possible that the cache usage is just tripping over the limit, but Barry
> only touches a few dozen bytes, so it shouldn't be that dramatic.
Argh, I hate gkrellm. It somehow does not show CPU usage correctly, this
had bitten me before. If I check again with "top", it isn't that bad. Just
running a simple patch with a simple sine oscillator voice, going through
barry-the-satan is also only 1-2% on my Athlon 900. And in the patch, I was
first talking about, in top it went up only about 3-10 percent, but that might
be due to the complexity of the patch and it is really hard to tell,
because CPU usage here varies quite a lot.

Ciao,

--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______