Re: [linux-audio-user] New Linux User Seeks Soundcard Help

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] New Linux User Seeks Soundcard Help
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 11:45:59 EEST

John wrote:

> Hi everyone....
>
> I've been looking at the site referenced below, and I'm not sure
> what to do; especially since it has not been updated in a long time.
> Should I install ALSA first? It looks like there is a driver there for
> "with ALSA" and one for "without ALSA". Am I right? Which should I use?
> If there is anyone on this list willing to help me with this a bit
> (especially someone who knows about the ZA2 with Linux), I would
> appreciate any assistance.
>
> Thanks!
> John

this card is pretty much dead afaik. i doubt the ALSA drivers will work
with the current alsa lib - they are more than 2 yrs old. unless you are
willing and able to port and possibly rewrite the driver, it's probably
a lost cause. and even if you are, i heard the za2 has some exquisite
design mistakes that make supporting it rather challenging.... save
yourself the hassle and get another card. today, there are many
alternatives for high-quality digital i/o.

--
Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat
the yellow snow !