Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question
From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky ("M.)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 21:19:23 EEST

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> > Questions:
> >
> > 1) Does anyone know of Linux software that will let me transfer the
> > image from the MD recorder into the computer through the USB port?
> >
> > 2) Or is analog transfer through the headphone jack my only option?
>
> I found this at http://www.minidisc.org/minidisc_faq.html
>
> 13) Enough about recording to MD... can I record from MD unit to my
> computer (or another audio device)?
>
> With the proper cables, yes. [...] If you're looking to transfer
> audio from MD to your computer digitally, you need an MD unit that
> is capable of digital output (all current portable MD recorders lack
> this feature, but most home MD decks have it)

I have a Sony MDMP3PK2 Minidisc Recorder / MP3 player combo. According
the the manual, there is an *optical* cable you can buy which does
digital transfers to a sound card with the right optical port. I can dig
up the details if necessary. I don't know which sound cards support
this; I think my M-Audio Delta 66 does but I haven't played with it.

--
M. Edward Borasky

znmeb_AT_borasky-research.net http://www.borasky-research.net/HarryIannis.htm

What phrase will you *never* hear Candice Bergen use? "My daddy didn't raise no dummies!"