Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Minidisk question
From: James Greenwood (jamesg_AT_ukshells.co.uk)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 21:56:53 EEST

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 09:44:39AM -0400, Lloyd R. Prentice wrote:

> 1) Does anyone know of Linux software that will let me transfer the
> image from the MD recorder into the computer through the USB port?
>
> 2) Or is analog transfer through the headphone jack my only option?
>
> 3) The MD image is encoded in ATRAC3 format. Can this be converted into
> other file formats? Can it be edited with conventional
> editing software?

I don't know the answer to question 1, but in answer to 2
and 3, I regularly transfer MD sound digitally by putting
disks in my non-portable MD player which has S/P DIF
outputs. The MD player decodes the ATRAC data and produces
standard uncompressed 16-bit digital audio.

Not much use if your MD player or soundcard don't have S/P
DIF though, I know... some portable MD players might do -
mine has an 'optical in' socket that I've never used, but no
digital output. None of my SP/DIF devices implement copy
protection thankfully.

James

 --
James Greenwood | jamesg_AT_ukshells.co.uk