[linux-audio-user] Re: snd,DPhillips .scms on yellowdog 2.2

Subject: [linux-audio-user] Re: snd,DPhillips .scms on yellowdog 2.2
From: kcross (kcross_AT_linex.com)
Date: Sun May 26 2002 - 01:04:56 EEST

08:29:20 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:

>Has anyone got Bill Schottstaedt's 'snd' working on YDL2.1 or 2.2 using
openmotif or motif(not lesstif and gtk+),ladspa and dlp's various .scms for
customising 'snd'.

  Are you trying to run it on a PPC ?

Yup! PB G3 (1999-2000) 500Mhz/256 Ram. Just need a pcmcia sound card
*whistle*

>Every time I try to load any scms,or indeed the 'misc.scm' with,for
example: > ># snd -l "/root/snd-5/contrib/dlp/fft-menu.scm" or # snd (load
"/root/snd-5/contrib/fft-menu.scm"), > >I get the following error msg: >
>[18:50:21] Unbound variable: squelch-vowels > >; (load
"/snd-5/contrib/dlp/fft-menu") >(while loading
"/snd-5/contrib/dlp/fft-menu.scm")

   Ah, at last a new error ! ;) Hmm, I'm not sure what the problem might be.
Have you tried commenting out the relevant code in fft-menu.scm ? See what
happens when you do that.

This I will definitely try,thanks...

>On another issue,the only way I can get 'snd' to work is --with-gtk. I
installed 'snd' --with-ladspa but,understandably,it didn't work and I'd like
to know if it's possible to load plugins using the 'plugins-menu.scm'.

  Did you compile Snd yourself ? If so, the --with-ladspa configuration flag
won't work if you don't already have LADSPA and its plugin sets installed
beforehand. Alas, I've done nothing to accomodate the GTK build so I can't
say much about it (other than that I prefer the Motif build anyway). AFAIK
none of my widget work has gone into the GTK stuff yet, and I probably won't
do it (too many other commitments). LADSPA plugins can be dynamically loaded
into Snd via the Listener, but you won't get any auto-generated GUI. The
LADSPA plugins I've prepared for Snd are all hard-coded into their widgets.
Yes, that's very inefficient, and no, I am not a programmer. If someone with
real skills would like to undertake the task I'd gladly defer...

Yes,I compiled 'snd' myself --with-ladspa config flag _after_ I'd
installed/compiled ladspa.sdk,cmt and swh-plugins. This seemed to
work,although when I tried it with xmms_ladspa it doesn't!! So maybe I will
compile everything again... Oh yeah,LadspaToy freezes my computer everytime
I try it. So,still no ladspa processed sound yet.

>I've got the basic 'snd' working.All the amp,speed,expand,contrast and
reverb etc work O.K. Just can't seem to customise. I'm wondering if it's got
anything to do with '--with-static-xm' which I can't use to compile 'snd' on
my YDL2.2 (PB pismo)

xm.so is a module that contains all the graphics routines for the widgets, so
yes, you need it if you want the fancy GUI stuff. I have no idea whether it
will compile and/or run under LinuxPPC.

This is my _main_ question,then. YDL uses gtk+ and lesstif.
I want to install openmotif but the dependency problems are too great(for
me). Is there a way I can install openmotif for 'snd' _only_? 'snd' will
./configure with openmotif? --with-openmotif or just --with-motif ???. If
anyone has successfully installed 'snd' with motif or openmotif on a Mac
G3/G4 running YDL(I know,why would you do this? -I can also run my Mac IRCAM
software) I'd really like to hear from you :-)

>I DON'T HAVE A SOUND CARD.Is this the problem? On a mac it isn't so
much(well,kind of).
>nb- is there an equivalent to 'QuickTime Musical Instruments' so that I can
play midi files without a sound card? 'Timidity' works but no sound...

What sound driver are you using ? If ALSA you may only need to adjust the
volume. OTOH you should also have a GUS patch set installed in a path
recognized by TiMidity else you'll get no sound

Trying to install alsa-driver-0.9.0rc1 is a problem. Keep getting a 'clock
skew detected.Your build may be incomplete' message during make. Never had
that before,honest. hmmm...I've heard that alsa-driver-0.5.12a may be more
forgiving,although of course not supported.
So,anyway,still no 'midi' sound at present.

Best Regards,
Keith