Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 11:19:33 EEST

Joseph Zitt wrote:

> Should I have
> warned them that unless they were deeply into munging about with the
> deep juju of the kernel, they should stick to Windows?

Yep. But then you could also have talked to them about the philosophy
behind open source and they can make a more considered choice.

It's true that a lot of people would decide to stay with doze.

> And about a month ago, I changed from RedHat 7.2 to 7.3 -- a disastrous
> process, in which bugs in the installer itself (and unconscionable
> design choices made in its error reporting) left no choice but to wipe
> the Linux partitions clean and install from scratch (the bugs finally
> requiring me to install 7.2 then get as far as I could into an upgrade
> to 7.3 as I could be for the installer crashed again).

I have found rpm based distro's to be a complete pain for audio. That's
why I now use debian as my base and compile nearly everything I use from
scratch. Ideally I would do a LFS system but I don't have the energy for
that at the mo. I'm pretty close though. At least you know that the
programs you install have been done right. Once you have done it a few
times it is a relatively simple process.

I had to do it again last week after a faulty keyboard got the better of
me and now it only takes a couple of days to have a fully functioning
system again. 1 hour to have internet via lynx. The same time as my
windoze using friends spend on setting up their crashed windoze systems.

Thats including ,XFree86, nvidiadrivers, enlightenment, gimp. Mozilla,
ALSA, JACK, Ardour, Audacity, alsaplayer, realplayer, xmms, cdrecord,
ogg, all the associated dependancies.

Of course it's worse when using a slower machine. But only money can fix
that problem.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur