Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 11:32:14 EEST

Mark Constable wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> Joseph Zitt wrote:
>>
>>> Anything that involves rebuilding a kernel or futzing with
>>
> >> modules is a role for a sysadmin or someone equivalent, not
> >> an end-user.
>

>> Some people would say you are not playing the game so you shouldn't
>> complain. ;]
>

> So every wannabe linux muso out there should pay their dues
> to become software engineers and contribute to the effort !?

Damn Straight. Otherwise they won't be worthy of support from the community.

> I don't take Josephs comment as a "complaint" that requires a
> defensive and dismissive response. He is dead right. Anyone
> who has NOT had years of unix sysadmin experience should not
> be expected to have to spend ANY amount of time diddling libs
> and Makefiles just to get something to work that MIGHT be
> professionally usable.

Then they shouldn't be using computers to make music.

> I'm not aware of any studio that takes
> money from clients, who expect professional quality in a timely
> manner, that can even consider linux as anything but a curiosity
> or file server.

There are a few people on the ardour list who will disagree with that.

> For me, I have 2 AMD machines that lock up hard after 30-60
> minutes of using any ALSA based app. I can use XMMS/RealAudio
> (in OSS mode) to play music for weeks at a time but as soon as
> I use an ALSA app... death. As keen as I am on OSS (the movement,
> not the other audio driver) in general I can't justify having
> to become (literally) a software engineer to do anything more
> than listen to mp3/oggs.

You don't have to. You have oss for that.

But this problem with ALSA has plagued you for a while and it shouldn't
be a problem because other people with AMD Machines are using ALSA as we
speak.

If you want to use JACK you should be debugging ALSA using the kernel
debugger and reporting back to alsa-dev.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur