Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Mark Constable (markc_AT_renta.net)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 10:53:54 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Joseph Zitt wrote:
>> Anything that involves rebuilding a kernel or futzing with
>> modules is a role for a sysadmin or someone equivalent, not
>> an end-user.
>
> Some people would say you are not playing the game so you shouldn't
> complain. ;]

So every wannabe linux muso out there should pay their dues
to become software engineers and contribute to the effort !?

I don't take Josephs comment as a "complaint" that requires a
defensive and dismissive response. He is dead right. Anyone
who has NOT had years of unix sysadmin experience should not
be expected to have to spend ANY amount of time diddling libs
and Makefiles just to get something to work that MIGHT be
professionally usable. I'm not aware of any studio that takes
money from clients, who expect professional quality in a timely
manner, that can even consider linux as anything but a curiosity
or file server.

For me, I have 2 AMD machines that lock up hard after 30-60
minutes of using any ALSA based app. I can use XMMS/RealAudio
(in OSS mode) to play music for weeks at a time but as soon as
I use an ALSA app... death. As keen as I am on OSS (the movement,
not the other audio driver) in general I can't justify having
to become (literally) a software engineer to do anything more
than listen to mp3/oggs.

--markc