Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] CD audio
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Sat Jul 13 2002 - 02:38:11 EEST

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 02:31:56PM -0700, Joseph Zitt wrote:
> After playing with this for several days, I still haven't been able to
> get this to work. As I understand it, ALSA doesn't handle the USB audio
> interface, so I tried updating XMMS to the latest RPM from RedHat,
> without success: while it's supposed to display the tracks on the CD
> when I go to /mnt/cdrom in the file selection window, nothing appears.

If xmms has a cd-audio ripping plugin, which I guess is what you're
trying to use, it'll just treat the CD as one continous data source.
You won't see a track listing. And you should not try to mount
the CD before playing it. An audio CD is not mountable.

Also, to use anything that "rips" audio (e.g. cdparanoia
or any cdda players like alsaplayer), if you have an ATAPI CD-ROM,
then you need to enable SCSI emulation in the kernel.
Do a kernel config, enable SCSI emulation, enable generic SCSI support,
and *disable* ATAPI CDROM support. Build and install the kernel.
Then, before rebooting, put this in you /etc/lilo.conf:

append="hdX=scsi hdX=ide-scsi"

... where X is the letter of your CD drive.
Don't forget to run /sbin/lilo before rebooting.

Actually only one of those is required, but I forget which one,
and it doesn't hurt to have both.

Then remove the /dev/cdrom link and recreate it as a link to the appropriate
SCSI device (/dev/scd0 if you have no real scsi devices):
ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

Now you should be able to extract the audio from the CD drive.

I know, it's an absurd amount of configuration to do just
to rip audio from the CD drive. But that's how it is.

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"