Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian, my howto

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] ALSA and Debian, my howto
From: Karolina Lindqvist (pgd-karolinali_AT_algonet.se)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 00:42:49 EEST

onsdagen den 17 juli 2002 12.49 skrev Tobias Ulbricht:

> 2.) compiling the kernel the debian way
> (make-kpkg --revision mykern.1 kernel_image)
> 3.) compiling the alsa-source the debian way
> (make-kpkg --revision mykern.1 modules_image)

I did something like this today, except to get the sources from www.kernel.org
and alsa from www.alsa-project.org, and I had to do the following.

export MODULE_LOC=...the directory I upacked alsa sources in
export ALSA_CARDS=all

before the "make-kpkg modules_image" from within the unpacked linux source
directory. Maybe that is somehow automagically done if the sources is gotten
by apt-get sources..... Just in case it all fails, those things might help.
If the make-kpkg modules_image fails without any error message, it is probably
MODULE_LOC which is not properly set. If ALSA_CARDS is not set, it builds
alsa with no soundcard drivers. Yes, I did both those things today.

> now I had the two deb-files in /usr/src/
> + dpkg -i them

Just remember to update /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo at this point and (if lilo
is used)

> + the great tool modconf (thanks to whoever hinted me for this)

Someone said something about modprobe, but I used modconf to load the alsa
drivers, kind of guessing what is needed.....

> allows to insert the alsa-modules at boot-time
> + fine-tuning: I'm not sure, but I think alsaconf should do this:
> /etc/modutils/aliases
> alias snd-card-0 snd-sbawe
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

I don't have that, but I will add them and see if it works better.

> This is my small story.
> I think it's a kludge, since people want to compile from real sources and
> I don't know how the modules location etc. works if you don't do it ^this
> way...

I think linux should be in /usr/source/linux and alsa in
/usr/source/modules/alsa.... for the build to work smoothly. I have that with
symlinks....

-- Karolina