Re: [linux-audio-user] a brief update and a request

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] a brief update and a request
From: Lloyd R. Prentice (pai_AT_tiac.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 01:59:18 EEST

Hi Dave,

Dave Phillips wrote:

> I will include Audacity and LilyPond in the
> new edition, and of course I'll be keeping Snd (with much revision). As
> you say, it would be great to indicate how a "start to finish" project
> progresses via the profiled software.

I don't know if this fits into your book or not, but lurking on this site for more
than a month now I've learned that many of the GPL audio tools are still
"works-in-progress."

Seems to me that it would be useful to have one master list of what features are
missing or buggy in each of the applications from the stand point of a
professional/serious amateur musician or engineer. I understand that there may be some
subjectivity in this, but it would (I think):

1) Motivate developers to complete/polish up the aps
2) Help users decide which ap is most appropriate for which music/sound production
situation.

Incidently, I did very much appreciate your book and regret that we'll need to wait a
year or more for the next edition.

Best wishes,

Lloyd R. Prentice