Re: [linux-audio-user] a brief update and a request

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] a brief update and a request
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Fri Jul 19 2002 - 02:33:01 EEST

"Lloyd R. Prentice" wrote:

> I don't know if this fits into your book or not, but lurking on this site for more
> than a month now I've learned that many of the GPL audio tools are still
> "works-in-progress."
>
> Seems to me that it would be useful to have one master list of what features are
> missing or buggy in each of the applications from the stand point of a
> professional/serious amateur musician or engineer. I understand that there may be some
> subjectivity in this, but it would (I think):
>
> 1) Motivate developers to complete/polish up the aps
> 2) Help users decide which ap is most appropriate for which music/sound production
> situation.
>
> Incidently, I did very much appreciate your book and regret that we'll need to wait a
> year or more for the next edition.

Thank you for that suggestion, Lloyd, I agree that it could be quite
helpful. I am hoping that inclusion in the book will inspire the authors
to complete and/or polish their apps (if and where needed). Also, please
be aware that I am not covering GPL-only applications: apps such as the
Crossover Plugin and the Ultramaster RS101 will be included, along with
more "completed" apps I left out of the 1st edition (such as ecasound
and LilyPond).

And certainly any list of bugs or missing features should appear on this
list before going into any book. I tried to work closely with the
authors of the software I profiled in the first edition, I will try even
harder this time.

I'm planning to provide my publisher with the provisional outline by
this weekend. Given the green light, I'm hoping to complete the
manuscript within a year. Alas, so much new material will be included
along with so much revision that a year's writing time seems inevitable.
I'll try to get it done as quickly as possible, but of course accuracy
must come first... :)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips

        The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org