Re: [linux-audio-user] debian/audacity/mp3 library

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] debian/audacity/mp3 library
From: Rob Kudla (lau_AT_kudla.org)
Date: Thu Jul 25 2002 - 20:12:34 EEST

On Thursday 25 July 2002 12:58, Matt Price wrote:
> Does anyone out there know if there's an alternative mp3 encoder
> distributed through debian that ausdacity can accept? Or do I have to
> compile lame from source?

For what it's worth, this site has a pretty recent lame as a .deb package:

http://hive.me.gu.edu.au/not_lame/

I know it's not part of Debian proper (I'm surprised they don't have lame
in non-free at least) but at least you should be able to get it working.
I don't know whether it includes libmp3lame though, I know I had to
rebuild a src.rpm to get it under Mandrake, and then to get Audacity to
find it I had to ln -s /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so.0 /usr/lib/libmp3lame.so.

I didn't care for Audacity's selection of mp3 parameters (i.e. just the
CBR bitrate and id3 tag) so I'd just as soon render to WAV and use lame on
the result anyway.

Rob