Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff/ linux audio on an a1200

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff/ linux audio on an a1200
From: Brian Redfern (bredfern_AT_calarts.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 22:13:06 EEST

I found out a little trick when my laptop refused to upgrade to Suse 8.0,
I downloaded Redhat 7.3 and found that the laptop install actually
compiles in the low latency kernel by default. Strangely enough Redhat
refuses to install on my desktop, so I use Suse 8.0 without a latency
patch and my laptop does have the latency patch. If you run the app as
root under Suse 8.0 you basically get roughly the same performance as you
get just as a regular user under Rehat 7.3, the biggest hassle with
Redhat is having to compile alsa from scratch.