Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff
From: Brian Redfern (bredfern_AT_calarts.edu)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 08:28:42 EEST

Weeelll, its all about how much you're willing to pay for your freedom and
how. With Linux you can pay for your freedom by educating yourself, while
with Windows you're paying for the freedom to not know anything and curse
the name of Bill when things go wrong.

However Linux really is getting easier and easier to install. Back when I
started out with Redhat 6.2 I tried to install on a laptop and it burned
out my video card. It may still be somewhat tricky, but not nearly
impossible. Soon it will actually be easier to install and maintain than
windows, especially if you have more than one hard disk failure or ungrade
a hard disk and want to re-install, Microsoft will make you buy a whole
new copy of XP every time you buy a new hard disk, so yeah if you're
willing to fork out tons of cash for software, or risk jailtime for using
illeagal cracked software, sure it may be easier, but if you want real
freedom you still have to put in some hard work to earn it.