Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] icky low level linux stuff
From: jordan muscott (jordan_AT_no-future.com)
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 13:12:18 EEST

On Fri, 26 Jul 2002 19:36:30 -0700
Joseph Zitt <jzitt_AT_metatronpress.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Jul 2002 01:16:19 +0100
>jordan muscott <jordan_AT_no-future.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok - In general i admit that although some linux dists are becoming a
>> breeze to use on the desktop via KDE/Gnome etc , you probably still
>> have to do a bit of fiddling to get a good audio setup. It would be
>> good to remember that some of that fiddling is due to the extra
>> freedom that linux gives you.
>
>But you have to remember that there are other senses of freedom. Such
>as: am I free to create the music that I want, or am I blocked from
>doing so by stuff an OS's apps don't do yet?
>
>The hardcore Linux partisans act as if the small slate of areas in which
>Free Software excels are the only ones that matter. But others would
>have a hard time considering someone whose ability to express himself
>was blocked by egregiously complex systems to be free. If I can't do my
>expressive work with the available tools and would be able to it with
>others, my "freedom of the press" is greater under the latter set. And,
>as it now stands, the situation with the most of that freedom is not yet
>consistently Linux.

Yeah, linux isn't necesarily for everyone. And as such nor is linux-audio. What I was trying to say, was that to get the extra 'freedom' available via linux for audio, you stil have to be prepared or able to breach the 'icky low level linux stuff' barrier (where as that barrier doesn't exist anymore in other desktop areas). If this presents a problem for you, as it will for many people, then a linux-audio solution probably isn't for you yet.

 Till then why not dual boot, taking the odd spair moment to have a poke around with linux-audio, and one day all those spair moments may have added up to things working. That was originally my plan, but it became a short lived one, because ( as i mentioned in my other post) i happened to get my setup working quicker than expected as a result of the help on this list.

regards, jordan.