Re: [linux-audio-user] Room noise + acoustics (was: SNR (not audio))

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Room noise + acoustics (was: SNR (not audio))
From: Anahata (anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 20:05:39 EEST

> > On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 03:00:18 -0400, Paul Winkler wrote:
> >
> > Dont forget X too. recently I've been running linux audio s/w on my studio
> > machine and using the GUIs on my laptop. It means I don't have to be
> > anywhere near the studio pc, plus I can edit in the lounge, with a long
> > ethernet and headphone lead.

I had this crazy idea - the computers are all in a room upstairs and the
studio is downstairs, and in the studio I micx down from 4 track
minidisc to stereo minidisc. I happen to have a DEC VT220 scrapped from
an ex-place of work... so I could put the terminal in the studio, and
run optical Toslink cable from the stereo minidisc deck to my Midiman
soundcard with S/PDIF input, together with RS232 cable from terminal to
serial port on PC and screened audio cable from sound card analog output
back to studio. Login, run record utility from command line, press
play on the Minidisc and transfer the audio without going near the
computer!

Now all I need is a text-mode version of audacity...

Try that with windows :-)

--
Anahata
anahata_AT_treewind.co.uk -+- http://www.treewind.co.uk