Re: [linux-audio-user] RE: [Ardour-users] Re: [Alsa-devel] usb audio sound quality

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RE: [Ardour-users] Re: [Alsa-devel] usb audio sound quality
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 10:28:11 EET

On Sat, Nov 09, 2002 at 07:26:21 +0900, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> I know that JACK puts more stress on the systems interrupts so it could
> be that running such a demanding app with such high priorities supecedes
> the usb code slightly. I'm not sure if that is possible though. Anyone
> know how to check that?

Yes, it sounds to me like you just had too many interupts going on,
running your AGP card at x4 will generate a lot of interupts and running
your USB sounds device at low latency will generate a lot of interupts.

So my guess is that you could have one of these things going flat out but
not both.

Do USB devices generate more interrupts per period than PCI? I think all
my machines are running AGP x2 at most.

- Steve