Re: [linux-audio-user] Collaboration

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Collaboration
From: Levi Burton (donburton_AT_sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Mar 14 2003 - 14:59:04 EET

On Friday 14 March 2003 04:56 am, Daniel James wrote:
[...]
> We really should get some form of Linux-made music demo site together, to
> show off what people are doing with this stuff. That could be a very strong
> form of advocacy for other musicians, as well as a good music site in its
> own right. If anyone's interested in working on this, please get in touch.
> The chief obstacle I can forsee would be working out how to pay for the
> bandwidth.

I was a web-developer (php, apache - you know the drill) for a few years so I
could defnitely lend a hand on the web side of things. I have some ideas for
how a site-map would be organized.

As far as paying for bandwidth - I am dirt poor. Unfortunately any site
related to music is going to be super bandwidth intensive as audio is
notoriously large in file size. Kind of a bummer. Of course membership
would have to be free. In my experience (dealing with non-profits,
associations) the site is usually financed through membership dues - which
works amazing well. Of course, this is not even a remote possiblity in this
case - everything should be free. Perhaps linux distributions could
contribute to the financing if their product is plugged on the site.

Also is the case where there just isn't enough music being made to justify the
expense, but on the other hand this would minimize bandwidth until there is a
large number of artists.

--
Levi Burton
http://www.puresimplicity.net/~ldb/