Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering app

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Mastering app
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 12:18:21 EDT

Jesse Chappell wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote on Tue, 08-Apr-2003:
>
> > That said, I will spend some time perusing there again, or if you want to
> > point me to one that you think does cover these things, like fades between
> > two separate wave files, intergap & inter-track spacing, track points
> > defined within one wave file (used for defining the start of a track inside
> > of a single long performance, like a live take), track names, I'd certainly
> > be interested.
>
> There are several that can do everything you mentioned with regard
> to spacing and track points (gcdmaster w/cdrdao is one), but I
> haven't run across one that will do actual audio processing like
> complex fades or cross-fades as well.
>
> There are also a few features of such a proposed tool that would
> be nice for CD mastering:
> * quick-jump auditioning between several points to get a feel for perceived
> relative levels on different tracks (ideally, with very low latency switching)

erhm... alsaplayer?

> * integration with Steve's mastering toolkit (JAM) to make this *the*
> tool. I think that JAM should be implemented plugin-based,
> so that a GUI/diskIO tool such as this could encapsulate all
> the mastering needs, *but* other tools can still make use of
> it.

You want it to be a sound editor too?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No! We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002 The Scotsman