Re: [linux-audio-user] License free Linux ??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] License free Linux ??
From: Benjamin Flaming (lau_AT_solobanjo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 00:13:02 EET

On Thursday 04 December 2003 03:33 pm, Brian Redfern wrote:
> I don't know, if you're selling people audacity on cdrom, as long as you
> include the source I wouldn't think its illegal, I don't know why anyone
> would buy it on cd, but notice that he didn't get any bids, and now that
> its relisted, there's still no bids.

     I think the concern is with the fact that he's not selling "Audacity" -
he's selling "Luxuriousity Sound Editor". I took a look at the web site:

http://www.luxuriousity.com/

     It's pretty disgusting - he also sells Luxuriousity Office (OpenOffice),
Luxuriousity Photo (Gimp), and a number of other re-branded products. If he
was selling unmodified copies, I don't think there would be a legal issue,
and I don't think developers would be as strongly offended. Since he is
*presumably* distributing modified versions of the program (application title
changed) without making his modified version available for download, he
*might* be in violation of the GPL.