Re: [linux-audio-user] License free Linux ??

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] License free Linux ??
From: Brian Redfern (bredfern_AT_calarts.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 00:14:10 EET

Well, it seems that people aren't buying, the only reason why he's
selling audacity is that its cross platform, I actually don't think you'll
see this sort of thing happen with linux only audio apps, because apps
like audacity come built into all major distros. Also he's only charging
$9, so its potentially arguable that he's just charging for the labor to
burn a cd for someone, but what's more problematic is how he tries to
re-brand, or attempts to make it look like his company has written the
software, like he's selling openoffice, and calling it "Luminosity
Office", that's a big problem, because its one thing to be a software
distributor who sells software and src on cdrom (like redhat) and another
to re-brand someone else's software and just sell re-branded binaries,
that's stealing.

But if you look at this case he's taking only the mac and windows versions
of the software and then sells on cdrom for $10, but even at that price no
one is buying.