RE: [linux-audio-user] rme9632 status?

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-user] rme9632 status?
From: WR (gen2_AT_planetofidiots.com)
Date: Mon Dec 22 2003 - 18:47:22 EET

Mark, you are exactly right. I got a little baffled by the rme naming
scheme. Seems like it would've been easy enough to avoid the #'s 9652 in
subsequent non-compatible models...</microrant>

Ive been trying to collect the fragments of info from all the pertinent
lists, and here's where I'm stuck this time(!)

going out on a limb and using 2.4.22-ck2 instead of a patched vanilla
kernel (bad idea?), bumped down to alsa-driver/lib/tools 0.9.2 and now
there's a successful module load of rme9652.

 Module Size Used by Tainted: P
snd-mixer-oss 13592 0 (autoclean)
snd-rme9652 18660 3
snd-pcm 66400 2 [snd-rme9652]
snd-timer 16520 0 [snd-pcm]
snd 34148 1 [snd-mixer-oss snd-rme9652 snd-pcm
snd-timer]
snd-page-alloc 5456 0 [snd-pcm]
snd-hammerfall-mem 1888 0 [snd-rme9652]
rtc 8200 0 (autoclean)
nvidia 1628128 8

also, I can see signal on xmms, it plays, but no sound, so I guess the
stream is flowing. I'm confused about alsamixer, though, cause it says
"No mixer elems found" and fails.

To further complicate my situation, I HAVE to be able to use the spdif out
because there's limited access to any ADAT optical devices (for now).
A few questions if I may:

What is the ideal perfect best configuration (kernel/alsa/etc) for this card?

Are there limitations with any of the IO (duplex spdif working?)

Should I worry about firmware or rev or eprom?

Is it true that I can forget about the numbers 9636, cause every digi9636
is really a digi9652 as far as drivers are concerned(?)

I saw an rme9652 control-panel GUI and (of course) failed to bookmark it
and now cant relocate it. Is there such a thing? Is it "good"?

Some postings seem to suggest that .asoundrc file is not needed, but that
sounds very strange. True? btw, if anyone cares to throw a
working-with-spdif rme9652 .asoundrc at me, id be a happy camper, and yes,
i know they're out there, but I want YOURS cause you're a part of this
list of brainiacs...

THANKS!!
(it's been a mind-numbing 3 days of list-spelunking...starting to worry
that i blew $300 on the wrong card...)

:-)